Squat Twist Press is a great exercise to add to your current workout.
Stand in a “power position” with your feet hip-width apart, knees slightly bent, and hips pressed slightly back behind you. Hold a dumbbell in each hand at your shoulders, with your elbows bent and palms facing in toward each other.
Squat Twist Press
- Place your feet firmly on the ground. Abs pulled up and in, shoulder blades squeezed together. Hold two dumbbells at shoulder level.
- Sit into a deep squat: Bend your knees and press your hips further back and down, keeping your weight in your heels and your back flat. Push your chest out very slightly in front of you to counterbalance the weight on your heels. (sending your butt back).
- When you have reached the depth of the squat, reverse motion and drive up through your heels. As you push out of the squat, turn your shoulders ninety degrees to the right, allowing your feet to pivot as needed to allow your upper body to turn. As you turn, bring your hands straight up overhead in a neutral shoulder press, keeping your palms facing inward and elbows by your ears. This should be a single fluid movement.
- From the top of the shoulder press, bring your hands back to their original position at your shoulders as you allow your upper body to turn back to a forward facing position.
- Immediately sit back into another squat, and repeat the twist and shoulder press, this time to the left. Continue to alternate sides throughout the set.
- That’s one rep. Do 8-10 reps.
Benefits of Squat Press Twist
- This moves works many muscles at once: shoulders, obliques, glutes, quads, hamstrings and lower back.
- Works more muscles at once, therefore, burns more calories than regular ab exercises done on the floor.
- Develops a functional core and improves postural support.
- Improves hip mobility and provides no pull on the neck.
Want more quick exercises you can do at home? Click here for more.
Sidebar Ads to be installed into Wordpress text widgets:
Lifting weights is so important for our overall health! No, you won’t get bulky!! I have a blog post all about the benefits of lifting weights. Check it out
Have you tried this exercise before? I’d love to know what your favorite quick workout is. Leave me a comment below!
Hi!! I'm Kristin McConnell, creator of Innovative Health & Fitness, I am a wife, mom of two an oil lover, and an educator. I believe health is a multi-faceted journey that I approached holistically. Therefore, as a personal trainer, health coach, wife, mother, lover of nature, all to help live a more abundant life.