Taco Squash Bake
Taco Tuesday with a twist! This is a great way to get the kids to each some extra veggies! My kids love spaghetti squash.Print
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3/4 cup chopped bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 lb grass fed beef or lean ground turkey
- 4 1/2 tsp taco seasoning mix (I get reduced sodium)
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican-blend cheese
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Place squash face down in a baking dish and poke holes in them with a fork. Bake for about 40 minutes or until tender. (For more specific cooking instructions check out my spaghetti squash recipe.
- Meanwhile chop up the bell pepper and onion and cook in a skillet for 3-4 minutes. Add in the grass fed beef or lean ground turkey and 1 ½ tsp of seasoning. Cook until turkey is browned. Drain the grease and transfer to a large bowl. Add in ½ cup of the cheese
- In a medium bowl mix together the salsa, yogurt, and ½ tsp of seasoning. Set aside.
- Once your squash is finished cooking use a fork to shred the squash into noodle looking strands. You will want to drain as much of the liquid from the squash as possible. (turn oven down to 350 degrees at this point.)
- Mix the squash into the large bowl with the turkey and add in 2 ½ tsp of seasoning. Thoroughly stir together.
- Combine the salsa mixture to the large bowl.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9×13 baking dish and sprinkle with remaining ½ cup of cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees until nice and bubbly. About 20 minutes.